I’ve been attending The Max Challenge since it opened in my hometown, and I’ve generally flopped between the two mindsets above :-). Lately, though, I’ve been recommitted to getting there daily and putting my in my best effort, so here’s to feeling more like the first graphic and less like the second! The Max workouts are varied enough that I’m never bored, it’s not a fashion show, and the camaraderie goes a long way towards staying committed.
A whole other reason to be thankful for a great indoor option is the allergy season. I love to walk around the neighborhood but I can’t lately unless I want to swallow buckets of goo all day (too much? Sorry). Side note: If you are also suffering with this, Mucinex D 12-hour sold behind the pharmacy counter could save your life (def saving mine).
Here are few workout truths I’ve made peace with:
- Getting there a few minutes late is so much better than not getting there at all and attending on a Monday sets a great tone for the week.
- The more often I go, the more motivated I am to go again.
- Don’t wear the grey leggings unless is is laundry day and I’m out of dark ones and totally desperate (I see you, mirror).
- Modify exercises. Modify them whenever necessary because coming back the next day trumps straining something.
- Keep my knees behind the tips of my toes if I want to keep them intact and not show up in a knee brace. (Did you know that for each pound of body weight lost, there is a 4-pound reduction in knee joint stress for people who suffer from extra pounds or osteoarthritis? study by researcher Stephen P. Messier, PhD, of Wake Forest University)
- Skip the makeup because no one cares and it clogs open, sweaty pores (except for the undereye concealer, because if I skip it people ask if I’m feeling sick or if everything’s ok, LOL).
- Generate regular site posts because I’ll show up if I am writing regularly about my experience (so THANK YOU to any readers)!
The friends you make in a workout class also often end up being a terrific resource (shout out, Robyn!) – face it, when mamas talk, the take-away tips come at you left and right. Who runs the world? Moms.
One of the more recent floor conversations circulated around sports bra shopping and finding a bra with decent support. The Dain Shoppe in Morristown, NJ, a longstanding local lingerie shop, was recommended, so off I went with a buddy to check it out. The Dain Shoppe has been serving the tri-state area since 1982 and store associates know their stuff. Paired with the fact that they contribute to many local community initiatives, I was excited to get fitted and give their suggestions a shot.
If you work out often enough to invest in your comfort, the best gift you can give yourself is to visit a shop that will professionally fit you and make sports bra recommendations suited to your specific size and body proportions. Amongst the myriad of choices, the associate I worked with expertly pulled several options off the rack and brought them to the fancy fitting room for me (the nicer the fitting room, the more nervous I get about the price). I gasped a little when I checked the tag of the Anita Air Control Deltapad, but after the sweat-inducing, boob crushing, mass market torture device I have been suffering with for the past year, I promised myself I would just wash it with every load and paid for it. I want to live in this thing- everyday. It’s super comfortable in class and THEY. DON’T. MOVE. Bring on the jumping jacks. I can take it. Worth every penny.
A label-reading education seems to come part and parcel with an exercise regimen, if any results are to be had. If you didn’t catch the Favorite Finds post from yesterday, I wanted to again share the link to “The Food Babe” Vani Hari’s Instagram page – @thefoodbabe. I learn something from this NYT best-selling author every time she posts and I can’t wait for her book, Feeding You Lies ($15.79 on Amazon), to show up on my doorstep.
*First time reading? Check out my first workout-related post with recommendations for sneakers that will steal all your workout excuses and how to take the stink out of workout gear. Click on the link!
(All products were chosen by me independently and all opinions are totally my own… I started this blog three seconds ago… so obvs nothing is sponsored- this is a creative outlet and I just love sharing great finds) – Till next time! xoxo TheMomReno